How to Set up Outlook Emails to Delete in the Future
Most of the computer freaks are well aware of using Microsoft Outlook 2010. They are very much expert in sorting, processing, deleting, delegating and replying to emails using Microsoft outlook. However, there are few people out there who are supposed to be aware of future reference in Microsoft Outlook. Therefore, instead of deleting an email message immediately, you can keep that email message for few days and then delete it automatically at some stage in the future.
There is no such option available in Outlook 2010 to delete a particular message after a specific date, rather you can set an expiry date on email message and then set auto archive in order to delete all such expired messages on regular intervals. By this, you can always keep your Outlook 2010 inbox below the allocated size limits.
Here you will learn about how to set up outlook 2010 emails to delete in the future.
1) You need to set up expiry date for email messages in your inbox. You can do this through message option for individual message. So in order to open message option, you can right click on the messages listed in your inbox, and then select the message option or you can double click on the message to open it, and then further click on the message option on the message tab. We are showing you this scenario in below screen shot.
2) Therefore, in the message options dial box, you need to check on the Expires After. Furthermore, you need to choose a specific date and time from the drop-down options, as shown in below screen shot. Then you need to click on the CLOSE button. You will be prompted with a message save the changes, so click on YES. You can follow the same process for each of the message in your inbox you want to delete in a specific future date.
3) You need to set an auto archive option so when it runs; it will delete expired email messages. However, you only need to set this once. To enable auto archive settings, you can go to the tools menu, select options, click on the other tab, and lastly click on the Auto archive button.
4) In case, if you have already used Auto archive option, then you have to make sure that Delete expired items option must be checked. However, you can adjust the auto archive frequency according to your desire. Then after click on the OK button.
5)Whereas, if you have not used auto archive option currently, then in that case you need to check the box next to the Delete expired items. In addition, you can set the frequency for expired items as per your desire when you want to auto archive to run. You also have the option available in Outlook 2010 that you could be prompted before auto archive run.
6) Once you have done with all, you can continue by simply click on the OK button. Then you will be returned to your inbox.
In outlook 2010, you can also set expiry dates on the email messages that you have sent to others. So that those recipients with their auto archive enabled to delete expired email messages will also have deleted your email messages after the expiration date. Even though, in case of they are not using auto archive option, the expired email messages will be shown in their inbox with a strikethrough.
Therefore, you have learned how to set up outlook emails to delete in the future using Outlook 2010.